Above: Alfonzo Brooks, Co-founder & Chief Fulfillment and Logistics Officer, Pigeonly, featured in the 2019 list
Finalists will be announced and highlighted in April 2020 through Conscious Company’s website, newsletter, and social media platforms.
Who is eligible to enter?
- Anyone can submit a nomination, including PR representatives. Founders of color may also nominate themselves.
- We are especially looking for founders of color who have not previously been featured by Conscious Company.
Is there a cost to enter?
Nope, this is a purely editorial project, and entering is free.
What do you mean by “game-changing founders”?
We mean founders of conscious businesses! These social entrepreneurs are changing the world through the new/early-stage businesses they’ve launched.
Note: While the inaugural list focused on founders of color whose business models address issues of racial and social equity, this year’s list does not necessarily need to fit those confines; please feel encouraged to nominate a founder of color whose business is conscious in any way/shape/form — just let us know how their business is a conscious company! (What is a conscious company? See here.)
Can I nominate multiple people?
Absolutely. We want all your great suggestions. Simply fill out the application form for each nominee.
Can I nominate myself?
Yes, but the application will be stronger if you can find a supporter or ally to nominate you.
Do you accept founders of nonprofits?
We focus mainly on using business mechanisms to solve social problems. So if the nonprofit has a self-sustaining, earned revenue model, we’re happy to consider its founder. If the organization is mainly grant- or donation-funded, it’s not a great fit.
What does the entry process involve?
1. Fill out the nomination form by February 26. In addition to basic contact information for you and the nominee, including how you know them, the questions are as follows:
- What social or environmental problem is this founder seeking to solve?
- What’s the origin story of their business?*
- What measurable impact has the business had so far on that problem?*
- Please share any other reasons you are nominating this entrepreneur.
- *If you don’t know the answers to these questions, just say so. We can always follow up with the nominee for clarification.
2. Our team will review the application materials and select the finalists.
3. If your nominee is chosen as a finalist, we’ll contact them to complete a required finalist form.
4. Finalists who complete the form requirements will be featured on the official list.
Who will be judging the entries?
The Conscious Company editorial staff.
When will I find out if my nominee has been selected?
We’ll likely be contacting finalists by mid-February to participate in the required finalist form. You may not be notified that your nominee was selected for the final round, but keep your eyes peeled in April when we release the official list.
What’s in it for the finalists?
Those selected for the list will be celebrated the entire month of April! The list will be prominently featured on the Conscious Company website, in the Conscious Company newsletter, and on all our social media platforms. Finalists will also earn the industry-wide recognition that comes with this honor.