Entrepreneurs and investors are at the forefront of creating the impact we need to achieve a more just and sustainable world. The SOCAP Fellowship (previously known as the SOCAP Entrepreneur Program) is just one example of how SOCAP uplifts social entrepreneurs from around the globe and intentionally connects them to funders in a direct and holistic way. The SOCAP Fellowship also offers a unique partnership opportunity, inviting organizations to bring their cohorts of social entrepreneurs and/or funders to SOCAP’s annual flagship event. Learn more about these opportunities below.
Interested in supporting entrepreneurs and funders in the SOCAP24 Fellowship? Learn more about opportunities and get in touch with SOCAP’s Executive Director of Partnerships, Tova Lobatz, here.
What Is the SOCAP Fellowship Cohort?
Developed by Sarah Sterling, SOCAP’s Executive Director of Entrepreneurship, and co-designed by SOCAP’s entrepreneur alumni community, this one-of-a-kind annual program offers selected social entrepreneurs unique access to SOCAP’s broad network of investors, donors, and changemakers, as well as the opportunity to present their ventures to the SOCAP audience at the annual flagship event. SOCAP24 takes place from October 28 to 30 at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.
Investor Matching Program
SOCAP Global is partnering with Toniic to facilitate customized investment opportunity matching between investors attending SOCAP24 and SOCAP Fellows. Toniic’s investment matching technology will help investors at the conference identify investment opportunities aligned with their impact themes of interest among the SOCAP Fellows. Learn more about this unique opportunity here.
The SOCAP Fellowship Application Process and Timeline
Applications for the 2024 Fellowship Cohort will be accepted mid-April through May 27th, with final decisions sent to applicants in mid-June. The application process is extremely competitive, with a less than 10% acceptance rate. Applications are reviewed to find founders with the best solutions to the world’s most challenging problems and who are committed to actively participating in all that the program offers while creating deep and scalable impact.
New in 2024, all applicants will be reviewed and selected by an advisory committee of investors from different regions of the world, thereby incorporating new perspectives and backgrounds into the application process.
The 2024 Fellowship Advisory Committee includes:
- Patricia Chin-Sweeny, AlphaMundi
- Nneka E., VestedWorld
- Almaz Negash, African Diaspora Network
- Camilla Nestor, MCE Social Capital
- Dipti Pratt, Toniic
- Matt Patsky, Trillium
Who Is This Program Designed to Support?
The SOCAP24 Fellows must come from organizations that are:
- Late-seed- to Series A-stage
- Actively fundraising
- Direct service providers (those that are directly creating impact in the communities that they serve — accelerators, funds, and third-party organizations are not good fits for this program)
- Legally incorporated and have been in operation for at least two years
- Integrating impact as core to their business model
- Introducing a truly unique, sustainable, and scalable solution to a challenging problem
- Looking to raise between $150,000 and $2M USD
- Generating annual revenues of at least $200,000 USD
How We Support You as a SOCAP Fellow
Selected SOCAP Fellows will receive:
- 1 ticket to attend SOCAP24 + 1 discounted ticket for an additional team member to attend
- Accommodations covered for all SOCAP Fellows from Sunday, October 27, 2024, to the morning of Thursday, October 31, 2024 (SOCAP24 runs from October 28 to 30)
- Invitation to join Virtual Orientation Sessions to serve as a welcome as well as preparation for getting the most out of your SOCAP experience (for both the virtual and in-person activities offered)
- The opportunity to present on stage in front of all SOCAP attendees (Presenting on stage is dependent on active participation in our virtual programming leading up to the SOCAP event
- Four months of virtual programming on four strategy tracks with a three-part deep dive virtual webinar series for each (open to the entire team of the organization that participates in our program):
- Holistic Wellness
- Investment Readiness & Founder Self-Advocacy
- Impact Measurement
- Storytelling, Pitching, and Networking
- Monthly virtual Social Hours leading up to the in-person event to get to know your fellow founders
- Curated connections with funders, either virtually before SOCAP and/or in person at the event
- Access to the Toniic Investor Matchmaking Platform for curated introductions to registered attending investors
- A dedicated Executive Director of Entrepreneurship (Sarah Sterling) who is available to answer any questions you may have before, during, and after the in-person conference and who serves as your liaison and point person for SOCAP
- 1:1 practice sessions to help review and refine the in-person presentation
What the SOCAP Fellowship Does NOT Include
- Cost of airfare or any travel-related expenses
- Costs related to obtaining a visa to travel to the United States
- Direct funding or financing (nor guarantees that this will take place from any introductions we provide to funders)
- Any additional costs related to attending the conference
Partner Fellowship Opportunities
Partner Entrepreneur Cohorts
The SOCAP Fellowship also supports partner cohorts of entrepreneurs who receive the same benefits as entrepreneurs in the SOCAP Fellowship but with a more curated experience. Partner cohorts gain access to the four-month virtual programming series, digital promotion leading up to the conference, as well as a dedicated spotlight session at the in-person event.
SOCAP Entrepreneur cohorts come from companies of all stages, sectors, and geographies. If you are an entrepreneur-support organization looking to add unique value and spotlight your entrepreneurs on a global stage, then this is the partnership opportunity for you.
Examples of past Partner Entrepreneur Cohorts include:
- Cartier Women’s Initiative
- Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Agora Partnerships
- Bush Foundation
- Byron Foundation
Watch the entrepreneurs from the Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship cohort pitch on stage at SOCAP23:
Partner Funder Cohorts
SOCAP24 introduces the first-ever dedicated, holistic, hybrid program to spotlight funders. This program is designed for cohorts brought to SOCAP through partner organizations that support Early-Stage Fund Managers/Angel Investors/Financial Institutions. This includes the same virtual programming offered to Partner Entrepreneur Cohorts with additional tracks focused on preparing funders to engage at SOCAP, find potential pipeline opportunities, and fundraising.
This opportunity is part of our continued goal to create additional ways for entrepreneurs and funders to connect before and at SOCAP.
How We Support Partner Entrepreneur and Partner Funder Cohorts
SOCAP Partner Entrepreneur and Funder Fellows will receive the following benefits (subject to the level of partnership):
- Virtual programming for their entire cohort and their teams
- 1:1 advisory support with SOCAP staff for their cohort
- Up to 10 curated connections leading up to the in-person event
- Dedicated Partner Booth Space in our Expo Hall at SOCAP*
- Dedicated co-designed session at SOCAP to spotlight their cohort and their organization’s work during a prime spot on our content agenda
- Spotlight blog on our website and promoted via our social networks
- Logo placement on newsletter, website, and more
- Printed QR Board at SOCAP to feature their cohort
- Complimentary tickets to SOCAP*
- Discounted tickets to SOCAP*
- Discounted add-on benefits such as access to personalized coaching, legal services, impact measurement, etc
- And more!
Interested in becoming a SOCAP Entrepreneur or Funder Fellowship partner at SOCAP24? Learn more about opportunities and get in touch with SOCAP’s Executive Director of Partnerships, Tova Lobatz, here.
Thank You to the SOCAP23 Entrepreneur Program Partners
Learn More About the SOCAP Fellows & Fellowship Partners
- Announcing the Toniic <> SOCAP Partnership for 2024!
- Tapping Technology and Networks for Sustainable Energy and Climate Action
- Sustainable Agriculture Innovations That Nurture Well-Being and Impact
- Innovations That Enhance Global Health and Wellness
- Ethical Products That Benefit People and the Planet
- Education Services That Broaden Employment Opportunities
- Innovative Services That Build Financial Inclusion