A new episode of Money + Meaning, SOCAP’s podcast series, is now available!
Insights on Access, Inclusion, and Impact Recorded Live in Atlanta
“On a meter between zero and Harriet Tubman, how courageous is my work? Few of us in this room have the luxury to do our work without asking that question.”
– Marc Bamuthi Joseph“These entrepreneurs are launching businesses in an environment with many barriers, but they rely on the skills and values that have sustained us through a horrible history. What excites me is to think about what can happen if we apply resources that are available in other communities to these businesses that are on the reservations.”
–Jessica Stago“I want to create the place where we get started. And it’s a collaborative model, not a competitive model. I’m excited about all the assets that we are having come on line that are owned or controlled by people that look like me in a city that is 54% African American.”
–Jay BaileyDespite the fact that the fastest-growing population of American entrepreneurs are Black, Latinx, and Native, founders of color are systematically under-recognized and under-resourced in America today. Closing the racial wealth gap will take artists to shift culture, entrepreneurs to innovate new solutions, and equal access to the capital and resources that will be required to bring those solutions to scale.
How can we begin to build new systems that will support entrepreneurs of color? What will it take to build an inclusive impact economy? This past June, SOCAP convened the first ever SPECTRUM event in Atlanta to discuss these challenges and begin building an action plan to solve them. SPECTRUM was a multicultural gathering of changemakers focused on increasing access to necessary capital, tools, and other resources for people who have been historically marginalized, building an inclusive economy, and surfacing solutions that deliver positive social impact. In the latest episode of SOCAP’s Money + Meaning podcast we offer a selection of inspirational and insightful moments recorded live at SPECTRUM.
Marc Bamuthi Joseph
Vice President and Artistic Director of Social Impact
Director of Business Incubation
CEO and Founder
President and CEO
Join the SPECTRUM Conversation at SOCAP19
SPECTRUM discussions around supporting inclusive entrepreneurship and increasing access to capital will continue at SOCAP19. Join the conversation October 22-25 in San Francisco! Money + Meaning listeners–use the code PODCAST250 when you register for SOCAP19 to get a special discount off of the current ticket price.
- Elevating Approaches to Access, Inclusion, Impact: A Twitter Recap of SPECTRUM Atlanta 2019
- Hope for All Humanity: A Conversation about Racial Equity with Nadia Brigham
- Atlanta’s Equity Champion and Leading Social Entrepreneur Joey Womack is Issuing You a Challenge: Increase Access, Inclusion, and Impact
- Watch SOCAP’s Racial Equity video series featuring interviews with cross-sector leaders on current efforts to advance racial equity and dismantle systemic barriers faced by historically marginalized communities.
About Money + Meaning
Money + Meaning is the official podcast of SOCAP. This series aims to expand the conversation around impact investing and strategies to finance and support social change while stimulating innovative and valuable new partnerships across sectors.